The Municipal Financial Data Portal –in the frame of Lëviz Albania program
“Open Governance is Accountable governance”
Implementation Period: 2016-2019
Donor: Swiss Development and Cooperation (SDC) in the frame of Lëviz Albania
Fund: 147, 160 CHF
Implemented in: Albania
Implemented by: Co-PLAN, Institute for Habitat Development
Co-PLAN, in cooperation with the Open Society Foundation for Albania (OSFA), the Ministry of Finance and the Minister of State for Local Government, have launched a digital platform containing financial data (www.financatvendore.al) at the local administrative units’ levels, within the project “Systematic Monitoring of the Financial Situation and Practices of Financial Management at the Local Level”. Based on this project, Co-PLAN, in partnership with the Ministry of Finance and LëvizAlbania is working on the enrichment and further development of the platform, in the form of a Strategic Enabling Instrument, a useful and essential tool in monitoring the financial performance of municipalities in Albania and advocating for informed policies over a period of 3 years. This instrument enables the users to monitor the financial performance of local governments and thus enabling more openness, transparency and greater accountability, improving consequently public service delivery. The main objectives of this platform are:
- To contribute in improving the understanding of local finances among various interest groups, including CSOs, universities, media, professionals, researchers, etc.
- To provide a Strategic Enabling Instrument, which enables reliable and systematic data on the financial performance and the fiscal situation of LGUs in Albania;
- To provide a platform of dialogue between different actors involved and interested in local government issues. Some of the main achievements of the past year have been:
- Publication of a number of analytical reports on the state of local government finances across the country, including 3 quarterly reports, and one annual report;
- Population of the platform with data on a quarterly basis for the period 2010-2016 and onwards;
- Population of the platform with the legal framework on the local governance, focusing on finances;
- Publication of the local budgets and fiscal packages for 61 municipalities in the country- Publication of monthly Informative Electronic Newsletters, covering the latest development in the area of local finances, frequent trends and legal amendments, for various bodies of researchers and experts;
- Conduction of informative meetings with a number of user groups, including CSO organizations, students and academics, activists, etc.